Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Moment All Mommies Wait For

The moment comes quite suddenly. One minute all you can hear is a chorus of wails and the next, you have two little angels asleep on your arms.

I feel a little shaky even as I write this. About half a minute ago all hell had broken loose in my tiny apartment. Manahil was overtired which meant that she neither wanted to sleep nor stay awake (no, I don't know how she was expecting to accomplish that either). Rayyan was extremely sleepy but had already fallen asleep and jerked awake several times so now he was ready to be disturbed at the slightest sound (and let me assure you, Manahil's wail goes way over and above a slight sound). So, there I was, in utter confusion, singing lullabies, playing good cop, playing bad cop, essentially trying everything under the sun to get Manahil to calm down long enough for Rayyan to fall asleep but fate had something worse in store.

As I struggled to feed Rayyan and get Manahil to lie down at the same time, Manahil stumbled and hit her head on the side of the bed! There was tons more wailing as I left Rayyan to his devices to cuddle my poor little baby. Three and half minutes later Rayyan was snoring soundly and so was Manahil.

How does it go from complete chaos to complete peace in the space of a few minutes? It baffles me. I guess it's a teensy reminder of armageddon; from our peaceful lives we'll be jerked into complete chaos. Ok, enough philosophizing. Mommies out there, I beseech you, please tell me this has happened to you before and help me overcome this massive guilt.

But anyway, let's end this on a happy note. We made a family trip to Jarir bookstore today and here is the haul!

-Cardboard books for manahil (so that Rayyan can't chew them up in her absence) especially red riding hood because Barney reads that one out loud
-canvas. Lots and lots of canvas. *big grin*
-gorgeous moist water paints courtesy of Fatima Hassan (you give the best presents ever!)
-chart paper and double sided sticky paper for my next activity with Manahil
-blue spray paint that I accidentally bought, thinking it was fixer *face palm* (never mind, I'll think of a way to use it)

Can't wait to get cracking!


854223444612387.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment