Sunday, August 8, 2010

Obsession with court-shoes

So the other day my mother-in-law, who happens to be a non-cliche non-monster-in-law, ordered Mr. Mo (husband) to buy me a pair of shoes. So we drove to a shoe store near a whole lot of closed-down or about-to-close-down shops (yes, it is a very good shoe store. Which is probably why it is the only shop in that deserted place still running) with the gray sea yawning at us morosely. Once inside, I was gripped with a sudden desire to buy high heels. And high here is not just a figure of speech. By high I mean the kind that would raise five-foot-four me, teetering, to look Mr. Mo in the eye. And that's when I saw my ultimate shoe. A classy stream-lined silver with a sparkling zircon buckle. And triangle toed, just the kind of painful fashion I had the urge for.
"Can you bring these in one... no two... no three sizes larger?" I sweetly asked the shop attendant, hiding my step-sister-sized, uneven feet.
"That's the only pair left."
GASP! I grabbed the pair and jammed them onto my feet and hobbled to the stool. When I regained my strength I got up, (gracefully I'd like to imagine) and turned my feet this way and that in the full-length mirror. Not too small after all. It was like a fairytale. So while I gazed at the front of the shoe, Mr. Mo, in characteristic husband fashion, turned the shoe over and glanced at the price before grunting his acquiescence (okay, he doesn't grunt. he's not forty). So now I'm the proud owner of a pair of Jimmy Choo's (not really =/) that even Dorothy would be jealous of. Not to mention Cinderella. They're more sturdy than hers anyway. And then in my obsessive fit I scoured my house till I found another pair of court shoes. Less dearly loved than the silver ones but loved nevertheless. So I ask you god/google/ blog-readers (if there be any) show me more!

PS: Lightening just lit up the sky outside. It felt like for once Karachi had turned on its street lights. And then shut them off at the speed of light. This last is something I'm quite sure KESC is capable of.

4 comments:

  1. nice!

    all the while i felt i was reading a non-Pakistani blogger's story until you mentioned Karachi there. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh-oh. maybe i should have said gray Arabian sea huh? O.o
    and thanks :)

    ReplyDelete